The Kutz Home traces its roots back to 1902, when the Ladies Bichor Cholem Society was established to visit Wilmington’s sick and elderly. Recognizing the need for a facility to serve as a base for their caregiving, the Society changed their charter to enable the acquisition of property. In 1920, they merged with a similar organization, The Ladies Moshev Zekenim, and purchased a former hospital at 211 West Street in Wilmington. In 1942, they moved to larger quarters on Washington Street.
During the 1950’s, the Jewish Federation of Delaware acquired the Sellers Estate in Bellefonte and began planning for a nursing facility. On September 14, 1960, the new Milton and Hattie Kutz Home, a 40-bed facility, opened at its current location on River Road. The needs of the community continued to grow, leading to an expansion in 1970 when 42 beds were added.
In 1997, a major renovation and expansion project was completed increasing The Home’s capacity to its present 90 beds, while also adding two new wings, an activities mall, and a visitors center.
In 2003 the kitchen, laundry, and loading dock were renovated and expanded, including the installation of a freight elevator.
In 2013, Lodge Lane, our beautiful assisted living facility, opened on The Kutz Home campus. With its addition, we are able to provide a much-needed continuum of care.
The 1902 vision of the Ladies Bichor Cholem Society still resonates today as we continue to care for our aging and elderly with the reverence they deserve.